American Public University offers an impressive portfolio of career-relevant certificates that professionals are seeking, including the Undergraduate Certificate in Cybersecurity. This unique program examines information security legal issues, digital forensics, and cybercrime.
Students learn cyber forensics investigations while assessing federal and state laws that impact how private and government organizations think about information security. Students learn how search warrants and chain of custody procedures are vital to forensic investigations. They gain foundational knowledge about the skills and technology required to detect, investigate, and deter cybercrime.
Key topics include information security governance, cyberstalking, cyberbullying, identity theft, phishing, and hacking. Working with practitioner instructors, students explore actual case studies and examine the effects of cybercrime on society and the legislation introduced to combat it, including the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA) and Sarbanes Oxley.
Upon completion of this program, the student will be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the processes and goals of cyber forensics investigations.
- Assess and select Federal and State laws and legal concepts that affect how governments and organizations think about information security.
- Support the importance of search warrants and chain of custody in a forensic investigation.
- Apply the field of Cybersecurity and the regulatory standards and compliances.
- Gain the foundational knowledge and technologies needed to detect, investigate, and prevent computer-related crimes.