The Bachelor of Arts in Sociology uses the unique view and perspective of sociology to study all forms of human behavior and interaction from the individual and small groups to institutions and globalization. You will develop a sociological imagination that opens windows into unfamiliar worlds and provides a fresh look at familiar worlds. Research, empirical, and theoretical analysis skills, as well as critical thinking and information literacy skills will be developed. Knowledge gained in this online sociology degree is well suited to a career in politics, civil service, health care, family support services, public or private management, or law.
The curriculum for this online bachelor’s program is reviewed by an advisory council of industry experts for relevancy to today’s marketplace. Course topics include:
- Research techniques, influences, and concepts
- Key social institutions and contemporary social problems
- Interactions of individuals, society, and cultures
- Causes, theories, and control of deviant behavior
- U.S. social development, culture, policies, and problems
- American and European social philosophy
- Race and ethnicity issues, solutions, and intervention
- Environmental issues from social practices and values
- Gender roles, stereotypes, and class positions
- Sociology’s effect on religion, families, and law
Note: This online degree program requires you to have access to the analytics software: Statistics Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS). American Public University does not supply this software; check your course materials for additional information.