American Public University offers this unique and career-relevant undergraduate certificate entirely online. Working adults have the flexibility to earn a respected education while balancing their current duties. Our instructors are practitioners, many with unparalleled experience safeguarding the nation as military, intelligence, emergency management, public safety and homeland security leaders.
Through this program, students gain a foundational understanding of key homeland security topics such as weapons of mass destruction, intelligence, consequence, management and homeland defense. Students analyze and propose operational improvements to the current state of homeland security. They learn fundamental differences between homeland security and homeland defense initiatives and the federal apparatus for intelligence gathering including Federal Bureau of Investigations, Central Intelligence Agency and National Security Agency interagency cooperation. Students are part of a tightknit community of homeland security professionals and volunteers who are dedicated to enhancing the nation’s ability to avert terrorist attacks and respond in the event of a disaster.
- Identify the key challenges for the 21st century facing not only U.S. homeland security strategy, but also those of other major actors that might become peer competitors.
- Discriminate between valuable sources of information and those sources that are questionable.
- Differentiate between homeland security and homeland defense.
- Describe the national intelligence apparatus including FBI, CIA, and NSA.
- Assess proposals for improvement in the state of homeland security.